Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Still searching

Today was a my second news conference I have attended since the mudslide/landslide that occurred on Saturday, July 11, 2009. It is really heart breaking to hear but glad to hear it. I hope that makes sense. The following is a statement made at the news conference I just attended at 5:30pm.


Statement from Mayor Randy Watts - City of Logan

First of all, out of respect for the family I will not be taking any questions, but will give a brief statement.

As mayor of Logan City, and as a representative of the good people of this community, as well as its employees, I'm coming to the media to let you know I couldn't be more proud of the people behind the scenes of this unfortunate tragedy. I will be forever grateful to our emergency responders, our public works personnel, the CERT team, our volunteers and everyone else who has in any way contributed to this operation.

I would also like to thank Bear River Health Department, Cache County, and the State of Utah for all of its support. The visit of Lt. Governor Herbert had a calming effect on the family, and our workers felt supported from the highest levels of government.

I'm also grateful for the efforts of the Mt Logan Stake and all of their congregations. They have truely stepped up to the plate by providing over 1000 volunteers who have largely restored most of the impacted neighborhoods. As some of you many know, I lived for 25 yeas in the Island area, not more than a couple of doors down from this very spot. I love the people of this neighborhood like family and couldn't be more proud of their concern for each other.

It is with mixed feelings that I find it my duty to report that we have this afternoon recovered the bodies of Jacqueline Leavey - the mother, and her daughter Abbey Alanis. The search continues for the second child, Victor Alanis. My mixed emotions are the result of gratitude that our workers were able to bring partial closure for the family, but that gratitude is certainly tempered by the pain we all feel for this family's loss. Additional updates will be provided as warranted, please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers as well as the safety of our workers as they continue recovery efforts on the site. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment