Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How I will miss a great woman!

Today was the funeral for my Aunt Elma Ransom Worthen. I will definitely miss her. Last time I saw my aunt was in December and she looked good for being so old. I found out on Thursday, Feb. 12 that she had passed from my dad via text message. At that time, I was at a visiting teaching appointment and I actually can't tell you what was said because I was so sad and a little depressed about the news. I have a friend that I have talking to about this death that I thought that I was finished crying about it.

My aunt Elma is 19 years older than my dad, that is something I either couldn't remember or was never told. I had no idea that when my dad was born she was out of high school! who knew?! The funeral today was very hard for me to sit through. Both my parents were part of the program and seeing my dad and mom have difficulty getting through their part in the program pulled at my heart. There was a part in the program where you could get up and share your memories and stories about Elma and my dad was asked to start. I was fine until he mentioned that she loved quilting and that ALL his children (there are 7 of us) have a quilt that she made especially for us and would never give it up. That is when I lost it. I love my quilt and is lying on my bed right now. It is the best blanket that I own and I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world.

I will always miss my aunt and this is a sad and yet happy (my aunt is with her husband and parents) occassion to see family I haven't seen in forever.

Have to end on this beautiful poem....

Dear Mom

Although we cannot see you now,
You are always on our minds.
All the loving things you did for us,
So thoughtful and so kind.

Although we cannot hold you now,
You are being held here in our hearts.
And through our loving memories,
We will never have to part.

Although we cannot call on you,
To help us through the day,
We will remember what you taught us
with your loving ways.

Although we cannot tell you now,
How special you have been,
We will be sure to tell you, Mom
When we see you again.
-----Paula Byington

No comments:

Post a Comment